Sarah and Ian's Move to Ottawa

The story so far...having planned and booked a three month trip to South America, we were given a difficult decision to make when Ian was offered a job in Canada. After much hard thinking, we took the job, but get the best of both worlds as we still have two weeks in Brazil and Chile before arriving in Ottawa. We are now living in Ottawa and enjoying the big adventure of living somewhere new. This is the story of our experience...

Sunday, February 13, 2005

Everybody Needs Good Neighbours or That's one for the (b)log!

...we could have done with a good night's sleep on our first night in Canada, but at 2.30am there was frantic knocking at our door. I answered and a woman asked quickly if we've left water running in our bathroom as her bathroom downstairs was flooding. I told her that we hadn't left water running and she ran off. We both went back to sleep...

...only to be woken again at 3am. This time by the security guard asking if we'd left water on. Sarah answered the door this time and said he could check if he wanted to. He didn't and went off in a hurry. On the way back to the bedroom, Sarah checked in the bathroom and found the floor was soaking wet! I went down to find the security guard in the lobby and told him about the water. He grabbed his plunger and closed the lobby security room door behind him to get the lift with me. Then he stopped and said, 'I don't believe I've done that. I've locked myself out'.

The guard and I went to the apartment and found that the water was spilling out from the toilet bowl. We turned off the cistern stop-cock, which stopped the water so that a plumber could fix it properly in the morning. Now we had to help the guard get back into his office.

Sarah came down to the lobby with us as there is a metal grate that someone with small hands could reach through and turn the key. The lock was really stiff and none of us could turn the key despite trying for twenty minutes. Just as we were about to give up and try another method, a woman came into the lobby on her way out (at 3 in the morning! What the?). She also had small hands and gave the key a try. We'd obviously loosened it as the key turned and the guard could climb through into his office. And we got to go back to bed.

The story doesn't end then there though. At 4am I was woken AGAIN by what I thought was more knocking at the front door. But when I opened the door there was nobody there. As I went to bed AGAIN I realised that the knocking came from the heating system in the flat. Sigh. A good welcome to a new country.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home